Sunday, June 27, 2010

Colorful Nights of July

This is the time of year I love the most. For the next couple of weeks the night skies will light up in an abundance of color. Fireworks!

When I was a little girl my mama told me that I would throw it in my brothers faces that I had fireworks on my birthday and they didn't. This may have started my fascination with the bright explosions that help celebrate our nations birth.


Another reason for my fascination of fireworks is that I am extremely patriotic. This stems from being born on the Fourth of July and I truly feel the need to spread the word on patriotism. My students are expected to stand a little more straighter during the Pledge of Allegiance and when others do not stand during our national anthem I am offended.

Last night as I listened to sonic booms going off in my neighborhood I jumped into my car to find the amazing light show that was lighting up the night sky. Fireworks "bursting in air" takes me back in time and I visualize what Francis Scott Key saw in 1814 during the attack on Fort McHenry as he sat on his ship and wrote the "Star Spangled Banner." As he saw the flag flying in the sky with a background of cannons and guns going off he wrote that beautiful poem which became our anthem of freedom. Let Freedom Ring!

2 comments:

  1. You lucky little duck, having fireworks on your birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 4th. It's such a cool, relaxing holiday. Happy B day, too.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete